[pianotech] SnS M

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue May 22 22:28:45 MDT 2012

Lim asked:
"Dear list,
I am servicing a M model and I need an answer on these parts.
1.balance punchings with wood base-when should I replace or refelt ?
2. Plastic cord for repetion spring-replace?
3.whippen jack top-replace?
Thanks."

Lim,
There is a saying: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it!". Unless, there is an
issue with these parts, leave them be. If you need to replace the balance
"Bearings", you can get them from Steinway. the other two? If there is an
issue/problem there, my recomendation is to replace the unit, unless it is
just a few. In that case, #2= is casting line (fishing), and #3= "Dag",
which is available from Schaff. It is graphite in an Isopropyl Alcohol
base. It settles out, so I recommend putting a few b.b.s in the bottle to
agitate the mixture before each time you use it The best applicator I"ve
found is old upright back check felt>
I hope that helps<
Regards,
Joe