[pianotech] Cleaning very old plate-now scrubbing bubbles contents

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Wed May 23 19:00:05 MDT 2012

Joe,
For your information and for the comfort of others, you can check out
the Material Safety Data Sheet on Scrubbing Bubbles and it tells us
that the contents are

1. N-alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride
2. N alkyl dimethyl ethylbenzyl ammonium chloride
3. diethylbenzyl glycol butyl ether
4. isobutane

If you want to know what each agent is, you can google each one and
find a description of each chemical with its properties and uses. This
is a very useful way to investigate a new product without having to
guess what it is made of or how it works, or whether it is dangerous
or corrosive, etc. It can also give you piece of mind to use it for
your work.

Item 1 and 2 and quaternary ammonium compounds that are very widely
used and mild disinfectants. I know from my work with disinfectants
for exotic diseases at Plum Island Animal Disease Center that these
compounds are approved for use against many bacterial and some viruses
and can be used at ports and in airplanes. If you can use them in
airplanes, they certainly have to pass the anti-corrosive requirements
that FAA is very strict about.

Item 3 is is commonly used solvent that evaporates quickly. So that is
good. It will be gone.

Item 4 is isobutane and is used as propellant that helps make the foam
and is used in many aeerosol cans. It also evaporates quickly. It is
flammable. So if you smoke, don't light up when using this product.

So the bottom line is Scrubbing bubbles is not corrosive and residues
should not be any problem in a piano. Not even if your piano has an
aluminum plate and can fly.

This also makes sense that it would not be corrosive if you are using
it in bathrooms with metal faucets and other fixtures that could get
corroded with strong chemicals.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY 11971