[pianotech] Key Leading Documentation

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Wed May 23 20:45:13 MDT 2012

I ultimately want to learn to weigh off actions and lead keys to achieve
desired down weights, etc., factoring in action ratios, hammer weights, etc.
Just beginning to dig in on this, and thought I'd investigate what various
leading looks like over the years.  I have no plans of "copying" leading
patterns per se.  I'm just finding it interesting now, as I have, for
example, about 10 Baldwin Ls and Rs here at school to compare, as well as a
half dozen Steinways of various models and periods, many others of course.
This summer, it's fairly easy for me to photograph as I have more time and
am breaking down several pianos for various kinds of work anyway.

I'd like to be able to collect data over time that will be somewhat
meaningful or informative when compared.  For example, I find it interesting
that a 4-3-2-1 leading pattern occurs at the breaks.  Why is this?  Hammer
weights are more smoothly graduated, aren't they?  When there is a
transition from a certain number of leads to, say, one less, are the leads
distributed in such a way as to create a smooth curve in key weight (I
forget at the moment what Stanwood calls this) over that break?

Those are the kinds of questions I'm asking right now.