[pianotech] No Key Bushings? What a Square!

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri May 25 14:09:35 MDT 2012

Patrick -
Just curious.  Can you measure the amount of total sideplay?  Should
be easy enough if you have a digital caliper.  It's not clear from
your description whether keys had bushings at some point or if the
wood mortise that was originally precise has worn.  I remember
working with on old Erard action for which I had to use some
extremely thin leather that was available through player piano
supply. thought I can't remember whether that was for the keys or the
repetitions.  Just a thought

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY