[pianotech] Stretch in Tuning(s)

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat May 26 08:49:31 MDT 2012

On 5/25/2012 10:26 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
> Whether you or anyone else likes it or not, there are more ETD users,
> without aural training, than ever, and it's only growing more and more
> every year and aural tuners are going to become less and less every year.
To the extent that is true, our profession, sadly, is moving downhill
toward less capability, less willingness to invest effort, and greater
ignorance.

> And has been proven over and over and over and over and over, ETD
> tunings are well enough to provide every tuning from the home to
> universities to symphonies, music studios and more.
Assuming the operator is up to it as well. And to what extent are the
symphonies and music studios, etc., just forced to accept who's out
there for lack of better options?

> AND, to add injury to insult, the SMARTER the ETD's get, the LESS and
> LESS is needed for aural tuning skills.

And who is able to make them smarter, except people who can compare what
the machine is giving them to what their ears are telling them?

Susan