[pianotech] Round button string rest felts

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat May 26 17:22:18 MDT 2012

Greetings,
     I wrote:
Why not use a punch the size of the pivot pin?

Will replies:

>>The drills are cheaper, and comes in any size you want or need.  And the holes you drill are very clean when you clamp them down before drilling.  Try it, you’ll be surprised how nicely it works.<<

    Well, time is money, and I don't want to spend the time clamping and drilling, when I can punch a surgically clean hole in less than 10 seconds.  This may be because I made one of the best investments in my shop 30 years ago when I bought a complete set of punches, in 1/16ths, from 1/16" to 1".  I have used them constantly in this work.  I've even made my own leather washers for Steinway pedals out of scrap, etc.  By having the instant ability to make punchings, pads, washers, etc. of exact size,  I have saved many times the cost of the set and the results are clean work.   A drill may leave as clean a hole, but it takes too much time for me.  It is also easier for me to punch the outer diameter first, then locate the center with the little bitty punch, rather than guessing whether  the outside punch is accurately centered over the middle hole.
 I suppose all of us do things differently, and what is easier for one is not for another .
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT