[pianotech] Stretch in tuning

David Lawson dlawson at davidlawsonspianos.com.au
Sun May 27 01:18:43 MDT 2012

My apologies for creating such a storm with my rhetorical question re
stretching. It seems there are some who too feel that this whole question of
tuning, is subject to different opinions. (What a surprise!!) The bottom
line here, surely is, that there is no right or wrong answer, and we all
play our own game, to establish what we feel is the best job we can do.
Piano tuning is not an exact science, due to the fact that we are dealing
with an instrument that varies so much from one to the other, and is not
perfect to start with. The mention of false beats tells it all, where it is
impossible to achieve a perfect unison with three strings singing their own
tune.
The argument between aural and ETD tuning is superfluous to the issue here.
IMO we are in a wonderful industry which gives us both challenges and great
satisfaction at a job well done.
David Lawson
OZ