[pianotech] stretch in tuning back to the original question please

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu May 31 16:26:46 MDT 2012

On 5/31/2012 2:59 PM, John Ashcraft wrote:
> In the case of the top octave, you want broken and simultaneous
> octaves to sound equally bad (equally good if you are an optimist).

Exactly. That's why I said I "temper" between melodic and harmonic
stretches in the top octave. I think too many people just go with
beatless octaves, because it's what they've been doing with the rest of
the piano, but in recordings one often hears the result as sounding flat.

Actually, I don't think that one should make the melodic and harmonic
octaves EQUALLY good -- or bad.

We have to think of how that top register is going to be used, not just
whether there are more simultaneous octaves played up there ("harmonic"
octaves) but also which variety of octave (harmonic or melodic) will be
the most prominent in the music being played. Usually the truly exposed
high notes which one can hear clearly, the ones which usually sound
flat, are melodic.

This is one more reason why it's important to go to concerts, instead of
just depending on one's own tests and maybe a few minutes of playing
one's most familiar pieces. Unless you are there in a concert, you won't
be able to get a really good line of how your work is doing. I once
thought of this as being like someone who grinds colors for oil paints,
but never looks at paintings.

Susan Kline