[pianotech] re-fabricating a failed soundboard

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sun May 27 08:29:11 MDT 2012

Following the Goldilocks discussion, Del's description of a failed
soundboard brought this to mind... been meaning to chat about it...

 >Del Wrote:

 >What happens when a soundboard fails is part of the same question.
Assuming the soundboard was working when the piano was built its
impedance did once fall within that “just right” range. As it
deteriorates over time—the effect of compression-set reducing the
stiffness of the soundboard panel—its impedance changes and it drifts
out of that “just right” range.

I attended a Bill Schull day long seminar a couple of weeks ago on S&S
history at Larry Buck's shop..very interesting day.

Late in the afternoon, after Bill was done, 2 chaps from Hampshire Piano
in western Ma, as a demonstration of a method to retain and reconstitute
original soundboard fabri, had brought some sample rebuilt original
soundboards. They described their technique.

The board is steamed out from above, steam penetrating the soundboard
from above and making its way through the wood to the glue at the rim,
case veneer protected from the steam. The board is extracted whole, with
none of the pulling of spruce grain that often occurs(even with masking
tape..geez). The ribs are steamed off whole, again no damage. Board is
re-glued as necessary and an occasional small 1/8 or less piece of old
spruce glued in mid panel at appropriate places, to make up for what
cross grain dimension has been lost to compression (although they say
compression set is BS...we'll skip that, little side show) but in any
case returning the panel width to its original width.

Panel dried as in compression crowning, original ribs glued back on to
original panel, at original grain angle in a dished deck (I think). Old
wood configured to original width takes on a healthy crown, and healthy
to significant downbearing.

What I found real interesting about this is, that as a wood guy, with 25
years of hands on wood knowledge, my experience of "old" or rather
"aged" wood has always been that the stuff is an amazing substance, in
some ways qualitatively different from new old growth. As a matter of
fact, in the shop I have 150 yr old hemlock and spruce recycled from
local historic restoration projects, which, when I need a dead stable
material, this is the material I go to...dodging the nails etc., but the
stock is well worth the occasional nail damage.

My hunch has been that the old soundboard wood, if it could be reclaimed
with enough left to reuse in a panel, could be, if structure was
re-built into it again, as in a new ribbed fabrication, could be a
viable soundboard structure.

The point that I think they have made is that, even with the compression
collapses on the original panel, if structure is built once again into
the panel, the compression failures of the original wood, do not
necessarily remove the panel's ability to create the spring necessary in
a belly, as long as the interaction between panel and rib is reinstated.

I haven't heard one of their completed bellies, all we had was the
suspect thump test there, but there is no doubt that the boards have
significant crown, and can maintain that crown under workable downbearng
in a compression crowned setup.

I think they are earning at least $3 an hour on these babies( on a good
day)...anyone want to line up for a franchise<G>

Interesting, I think

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio