[pianotech] re-fabricating a failed soundboard

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Sun May 27 16:09:18 MDT 2012

I was at the Bill Schull seminar also, and had the pleasure of sitting with
Jim in the peanut gallery.  And I witnessed the too brief technical on
steaming out soundboards by the Hampshire Piano guys, so I want to support
Jim's comments, as I was very impressed by their presentation.

They showed us 3 boards that they had steamed out and reribbed.  One was
glued into its rim, and gave a satisfying boom to the thump test.  (For what
that is worth, but I suppose I would be more optimistic after hearing a boom
instead of a doink.)  The other two they layed on a work table in Larry's
shop.  Both had plenty of crown.  If my memory serves me, they recrowned
them purely by compression, without radiusing the ribs.  I believe they said
they make a crowning jig for each soundboard.

What really impressed me was how cleanly they had opened the glue joints to
the rim, the ribs, and the bridges.  Only a very tiny bit of tearout here
and there.  They said it takes about 10 minutes to steam off each rib.
Getting the soundboard out of the rim takes about 8 hours, but most of that
time is spent doing other things after they have set it up and allowed the
board to marinate with the steam to work.  I would love to see their
technique in action, as I think most any rebuilder could find the removal of
the soundboard this cleanly to be a definite asset.  My chapter is planning
on having them come up to New Hampshire to give a class for us.

I would love to hear a completed rebuild also.  The proof is in the pudding
as to how much tonal life is still left after rebuilding the board at this
high level of workmanship.

Jim, could you elaborate on your comment that these old aged woods are
qualitatively different than new old growth woods?  I'd be interested in any
observations you might have to offer.

Will Truitt