[pianotech] S&S K(52) Restoration

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 29 14:13:36 MDT 2012

On 5/29/2012 2:47 PM, Gene Nelson wrote:
> If I get this right the existing plate screw holes get plugged and
> re-drilled for the 4" socket set screws.

Yes.

>The new board at the screw
> locations is counter sunk to accept the serrated flange nuts (are
> these the lock variety) that are set deep enough to not interfere
> with plate height.

Only I don't use a serrated flange nut, just a lock nut. Plate holes are
all sorts of different sizes and in Steinway's case, all sorts of
different shapes and generally huge. I plug the existing holes in the
plate with a mix of epoxy, colloidal silica, and iron filings swept up
from the plate modifications, and re drill them. Photo attached.

>Are the shoulders oriented up to support the
> plate?

Yes.

>Lock tite applied?

Yes.

>I suppose that nut and set screw need to
> turn together to make adjustment?

They had better if you want it to adjust, yes.

>The socket screws are adjusted from
> above with Allen wrench and set high enough above plate to accept
> acorn nuts.

Yes.

Ron N