[pianotech] Square Grand Jack Springs and Cords

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue May 29 19:46:57 MDT 2012

Terry said:
"Is there a source for square grand jack springs? I don't have any broken
ones on this 1867 S&S square that I am working one, but seems to me that as
long as I'm replacing the cords, I might as well replace the springs. Seems
I recall running across some broken ones years ago on other squares. Very
thin metal springs - certainly 147 years is enough for them to have
deteriorated a bit.

Yes? No?

Source?

Get out the spring-making tool?"

Terry ,
Do the cords and leave the springs alone. There is little stress on them,
for the most part. However when you have a broken one, it's time to
replace...JUST the broken one, imo. I have some spring stock that is a
close facimile of the originals. It is not for sale, as the original
company that made it, although still in business, does not make it anymore.
They would make some if I wanted to commit to about 5 miles of the stuff!
It is hard to find, if at all, so go with the: If it ain't busted, don't
fix it" Thang.<G> As for getting out the spring-making tool, Rotsa Ruck
Dude! BTW, there are a few different configurations of those jack springs
set-ups.. just so's ya know. The type that does not have the cords, is most
prone to break and is the most difficult to fix!<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police