[pianotech] Square Grand Jack Springs & Cords

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed May 30 07:30:13 MDT 2012

My objective with this project is to "rebuild" the piano. That term to me means to redo, replace, rebuild, re-whatever all components to the point where they will give like-new service for 50+ years - or something approximating that. Correct, none of the springs are broken at this time, but I have seen broken ones on squares in the past, and I am certainly familiar with broken/deteriorated similar springs in other more modern pianos. So I was thinking that replacing those springs would be a good thing to do simply because of their age. But if there is no source, and the appropriate metallurgy is not known, then I may well have to leave good enough alone.

Terry Farrell