[pianotech] --Centering the bridge--was S&S something

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Wed May 30 08:19:07 MDT 2012

David,

Interesting post.

David, Ron, Dale, Del, etal,

At this point in the discussion that we need mp3 capability!  We need a
clear understanding of what aesthetic assumptions are driving each
contributor's design approaches, otherwise its just  an hopeless
exercise in conflicting verbosity.

All of what you are saying David, what Dale was saying yesterday, What
Ron has been saying, and Del's voice when he chimes in, as well as mine
and whoever else contributes or lurks in this discusssion, only has
meaning in relation to the aesthetic tonal goals we are looking for in
the tonal palette.   Words are useless, unto counterproductive, after a
point, in describing these aesthetic goals.

For example, when I read what David has described in terms of tonal
goals, which I read as more complexity and range of tonal palette which
includes greater noise at the attack (I could be wrong about what
David's getting at...but that's my point, we need the sound),  these
words have been used endlessly to describe sounds I can hear in any
conservatory performance instrument; instruments  whose sound and touch
I have no desire to reproduce in my own shop.

What venue(s) are the instruments designed for?  What types of music, as
my experience of "full expressive range" always means, when push comes
to shove, bloody Lizst and Rachmaninoff (and then I have to leave the
room).  In many ways  Mozart, Bach and lots of Jazz, music conceived for
small  venues, or popular music, very well suffocate under this targeted
late romantic "full expressive range".

So please, we've talked about this for years!  Lets create a library of
sounds to accompany your posts.  We could link to the main PTG.org in
all its non-functionality, but still the sounds would be there.
It would be a lot of work for the contributors, but I really think the
discussion can only advance with this aural info.

What say?

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio