[pianotech] the fate of pianotech (OT?)

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Thu May 31 10:16:27 MDT 2012

Perhaps I was not sufficiently clear.  I do not believe that Pianotech
should be retired until another program is found that meets all of the needs
that Pianotech met at least as well (doing so as easily or more easily than
Pianotech),  even better in some areas, and offers new and meaningful
functionalities.   I don't think HL is that program, and suffer no illusions
that it ever can be.  I don't believe the company has the commitment,
competence, or intelligence to ever make it a good product.   I think it is
likely that  there are software products out there that we can afford, and
can meet (or be customized to meet) our needs.  I doubt that our needs are
all that different from other organizations that use these kinds of
products.   It's pretty clear that HL has been a costly debacle.   We have
the opportunity to have the benefit of hindsight, given all the mistakes
that were made in this process.  Given all the rotten cabbages that have
been tossed in the last year or so, I'll be optimistic and believe that
those who would be empowered to make these choices would do what they could
to avoid lining up for target practice by the membership.  Which is to say
we will have much clearer idea of what we want, and better be able to
determine if a particular software developer can deliver those goods.

  Kiss - Keep It Simple, Stupid.

That study committee should be started at the next council, otherwise we
wait another year like this.

Maintaining two lists is not in the best way to have the most vital and free
flowing forum that we can have.  HL's failings are too many and varied for
it to be the product to successfully carry the Forum into the future.  There
are certainly people who do not want Pianotech to continue forever, and some
of their reasons are valid.

What is worrisome to me is that there seems to be almost no discussion about
exploring other options (or at least no one is telling us such things are
being considered)

Your fellow spectator of the race to the bottom,

Will