[pianotech] Square Grand Hammer Shanks

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu May 31 16:30:50 MDT 2012

On 5/31/2012 3:26 PM, Encore Pianos wrote:
> It turns out that the hammer shanks on the grand I am working on are
> undersized, about the diameter of spinet shanks but longer than the spinet
> version. I am thinking about reducing the ends of standard upright shanks
> after cutting them to size. However my standard hammer shank reducer can't
> take off that much (.04 inch).  Is there such a thing as a tool that will
> reduce the shanks to the right diameter available?

When I ran across this problem, many years ago, I went to a hardware store
and bought long 3/16" dowels. Back then good quality maple dowels
were the rule rather than being rare like today.

If you could find some good quality maple 3/16" dowels, it
would be easy to cut them to the desired
length.

Susan