[pianotech] Jumpy strings

Paul Williams pwilliams4 at unl.edu
Thu Nov 1 14:19:15 MDT 2012

Try some McLube colorless (I think it's 444) on the termination points and
under string felt. Otherwise it's the pin block. Baldwin was notorious for
jumpy pins.  Nasty. With a 40's Wurly, its most likely termination points,
not the block, unless rust has settled into the pin holes.  Don't lube
those at all. Is there rust and crap on the strings and/or coils? You
could try to loosen the junk build up by jerking the pitch low and then
bringing it back up.

BTW, Wim won't talk you down if you don't start it.  Take a nice breath in
and out now.  He's a really good guy if you give him a chance.  So is Joe.
 So am I for that fact.  We all know a lot of good stuff if you let your
defenses down and listen.

Paul