[pianotech] OT (very): Wim/Sandy ashore etc

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 2 06:32:20 MDT 2012

Hi Wim, some final thoughts:

from Scientific American:

Property Damage
Katrina: $81 billion
Irene: $19 billion
Sandy: $20 billion, estimate

They are not comparable in effect although Sandy was much bigger in
terms of area. I am not arguing that government spending is
automatically bad but I think in these cases you'd be shocked at the
sheer waste involved. Most of the money goes to large contractors
(Haliburton, The Shaw Group) who grossly overcharge the government while
paying very low wages on the ground. This was obvious after Katrina. As
were the absurd administrative fees involved in whats called the Road
Home Program. And the list goes on.. The northeast is grossly
underinsured against these kinds of events (unlike New Orleans where the
majority had flood insurance) and you will find that water and storm
damage is not covered and companies will fight like hell to avoid paying
things out. The broken window theory is exactly right, as Susan says.
This is money that could and would have been spent elsewhere, possibly
with more success and a bigger impact. It is not new money, it is not an
investment in the future. Yes, New Orleans is better now economically
than it was before Katrina but arguing that the storm was a good thing
is more complicated than that. I don't see how these events can drag the
entire economy out of a slump. Now, if you wanted to argue for a
massive, nationwide WPA style effort I might agree with a bunch of large
ifs as to how it is administered and who controls the projects etc. But
storm recovery is not going to do it. And the benefit to piano
technicians is fleeting and depends on how well folks were insured and
how well off they were to begin with. Maybe the northeast is enough more
prosperous than the Gulf that it will be profitable. The whole issue is
very complicated and I'm sorry for anyone in the middle of something
like this, I hope to never see another flooded piano again.

--Dave
New Orleans