[pianotech] Who Ate the Key Bushings?

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:34:33 MST 2012

Terry,

A few years ago, a good friend invited me over to CT to tune his piano
after moving from Long Island.  When I got there the keys were mostly
down about 3-5 mm. Upon taking a few out, all the key bushings were
gone and a lot of moth casings left. I asked him about any moth
problems and he said that he had an Egyptian wall hanging above the
piano in his old house that had a lot of moths in it. They apparently
found something else to chew on. Surprisingly, they left the hammers
and other action felts alone. It was all under the keys. I replaced
the key bushings and all was fine.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc
Southold, NY