[pianotech] Prof. Schloetz's Tonometer

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:54:17 MST 2012

Paul is correct, the Schloetz tonometer is used for measuring internal
eye pressure. If you have had an eye exam by an ophthalmologist (MD)
you would have had this test but usually today it is part of a big
multifunction device you set your chin on and the ophthalmologist also
does a slit lamp scan of your corneal for defects.
 The tonometer requires that the cornea first be anesthetized with a
drop of lidocaine and then the little button end of the instrument is
gently rested on the cornea and the gauge reads out the internal
pressure in the eye. If it is elevated, it indicates a glaucoma. If
you are over 50, it is a good thing to have an MD ophthalmologist
examine your eyes regularly rather than just an optometrist who
prescribes glasses. Pressure in the eye can build up when the drainage
angle behind the iris is impaired. The pressure is silent ie. there is
no sensation, but it compresses the retina and will cause blindness in
a short time.

Animals get glaucomas also.

Douglas Gregg DVM PhD
Classic Piano Doc