[pianotech] Possible adaptation for the Tuning Exam

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sat Nov 10 19:49:46 MST 2012

On 11/10/2012 08:25 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:
> Duaine.
> Instead of us answer the question, "can a pitch pipe be used to set a temperament?", why don't you figure this out
> your self. You use a RCT, which is a very good ETD. Program the RCT as if you were going to tune the whole piano.
> Then take a pitch pipe and tune the temperament octave, matching the piano as close as you can with the pitch pipe.
> Then check the temperament octave with what the RCT says. No cheating. If the RCT is not dead on with each string you
> tuned, then you've not tune the temperament correctly.
> Duaine, many of us have a lot more experience tuning pianos, and have been doing it far longer than most of us care to
> admit. Don't you think that after 40, 50 ,or even 60 years, the collective us have tried almost every means possible
> to tune a piano, and have found that the best way is still tuning the piano using the senses God gave us. There is
> nothing wrong with using a ETD, but in the final analysis, it's our ability to hear to music of the piano that
> produces the best results. I don't understand why you won't accept that.
> Wim

According to your words, "(If) There is nothing wrong with using a ETD" then what is the use of aurally setting the
temperament for the test ?

I ask again, why not change the test to put the emphasis on testing for stability and unisons ?????

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ - Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding