[pianotech] Hardening bass hammers

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Nov 17 16:47:45 MST 2012

I don't have much experience with using laquer etc to harden hammers,
and I am looking for advice.

A recent example typifies a situation I've encountered before. A client
has bought a large good-quality upright, about 80 years old.  The bass
hammers are rather soft. They are not deeply grooved. I have ironed
them, but this produced only minimal improvement.

Obviously the proper solution is to fit new hammers.  But where cost is
a factor, what could I do to harden the existing hammers.

What is needed I think is not to make the surface harder but to make the
overall texture more dense.  What would be a method to do this at
minimal cost?

Advice will be most welcome.

Best regards,

David