[pianotech] happy thanksgiving

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Thu Nov 22 09:07:21 MST 2012

Marshall,
 Quick diagnostics . Take the lower front panel off and see if the noise remains. Sometimes it's from the whole bottom of the piano flexing with the pedal being depressed. There are screws that could need tightening but the piano needs to be tipped to access .
If the noise follows the panel then you can focus your attention there. A piece of leather or at least a coat of VJ at the spring is a start. On newer poly finished asian verticals the dreaded poly squeak  can come from any poly parts rubbing against each other. I'll bet you've heard this from the poly finished benches as you tune. A thin coat of VJ all around the panel edges or well placed pieces of cloth - leather can eliminate the noise.
    Quick fix until you can tilt the piano if you deem it necessary is to wedge something between the floor and the bottom of the piano as a temp fix. I carry hammer felt  remnants that are available from Schaff that can be stacked-cut to work or a stack of magazines etc. Find a way .

Best wishes on this day,
 Tom D.