[pianotech] elbows

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Nov 22 13:16:31 MST 2012

Marshall wrote:

> Like one tech told me out here, the plastic replacemetns will out live
> me and the customer.

A good point, Marshall. Sadly, it gets to be a better point all the time.
The only problem I've ever had with the replacements is having an elbow or
two pop off the center pin. And for awhile I had to trim the bushings,
which
were roughly cut. I said something to myself like, "you need to train your
pet squirrel better."

> Have any of you done an elbow job in the customers home without taking
> the action out?

I used to do that fairly often. It was a moot point whether it was easier
to grub around on the floor, with my head bent to get under the keybed, or
to take the action out and then have to put it back in. Now that I'm older,
no contest. It comes out, so I can do it at a civilized height, on a table.

Like your first point (we're all getting older) times change. I hardly find
any old plastic elbows in pianos anymore. Most have been replaced (or
the piano
thrown out) already by now. On the other hand, there still seems to be a
lot of
rock-hard corfam on butts and catches out there.

Susan