[pianotech] re; Brass Rail Duplicatio

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 12 00:11:53 MDT 2012

Wim said:
"Maybe the jig used to make the new rails is bad, or the materials used is
not what it used to be, or the guy who is doing the work isn't experienced
enough to do the job right in the first place. But for whatever reason,
maybe we should all learn the lesson that brass rail replacements are no
longer available.

So my solution, and I'll probably get a lot of flack for saying this, is to
tell the customer that replacement parts for brass rails are no longer
available, and it's time to get another piano. If the problem had been a
rotted out pin block, or badly split bridge, or completely worn out action,
what would you tell the customer? As long as they work, old uprights are
great. But there come a time when we need to say, "enough is enough, it's
time to bury the sucker".

Just my 2 cents worth

Wim,
I'll see that 2 cents and raise you $.50...Why not replace with regular
flanges?!! Novel idea? <G> Not really. Been doing it for 35 years or so.
Or....how about, If the rail is just in need of annealing...doing it?!!
Sigh!
Just my 1/2 Euros worth...or is that a peso? Nah, both are worth way more
than our currency.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police