[pianotech] Action Ratio Measuring

Brown, David dcbrown at mail.smu.edu
Sun Sep 23 11:07:48 MDT 2012

All-
Please forgive the previous “ ration “ subject “. I would have more time in life if I learned to type without mistakes........
This is a very valuable discussion for action rebuilding as a whole. I am grateful for all the input and directions it has taken. When I am back to school this week I will measure a current Renner model and contribute my fledgling numbers.
Once again this shows how procedures in piano technology as a whole we think are  codified and settled are not so much. A class on measuring things using different devices  and systems ( calipers, rulers, jigs, blocks, astrolabes, metric, English ) quickly shows the wide variance in how we get the numbers we do and what they are. This can create problems when  we work with others that provide things like replacement keysets, action parts and the like. Best to try and define our terms ahead of time to avoid nasty and expensive surprises.

Best to all-

David Brown