[pianotech] Action Ratio Measuring

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 12:31:21 MDT 2012

Greetings,
            I, like Dale, prefer to measure ratio by hammer rise per key
depression.  If the key moves x amount, and the hammer moves y amount,
then there is a ratio that I can use.
         I found that my results were more consistent when I added 10
grams to the SW before measuring .  The additional weight removes some
of the variability through additional compression of felt and leather.
I also stick a needle out the side of the hammer to most accurately
measure how much it really moves.
        The point of a needle, on a scale in mm, gives information
precise enough to distinguish the difference in action ratio at the
beginning and end of the keystroke. They are usually different, and
correlate , I think, to the capstan's relationship to the "magic line",
and perhaps to the relationship between the whippen radius, (flange pin
to jack contact) and the line between whippen center and hammer center,
(the "other" magic line").

Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html