[pianotech] Ridding tobacco smell from grand

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 16:51:24 MST 2013

The Scrubbing Bubbles does do a very good job of removing tar and
nicotine from all hard surfaces on the piano. I have also used it on
string felt in a few cases. When I did that, I followed it with high
pressure steam from a home steamer and then with high pressure air to
blow out any remaining water. I use a Metro vac for the high pressure
air. Use a crevice tool or the small round adapter for use on computer
keyboards. Press the air nozzle against the felt and the moisture will
blow out.  It comes out quite dry and clean.

The other very good product that may do the job without doing the
cleaning is Ultra Odor Gone. It is used in museums after a fire and
they don't have to do extensive cleaning to remove the odor. I have
used it and it worked remarkably well on a S&S grand that was in a
house fire and was severely burned. I still have the top in my
basement shop and I have never noticed a smoke smell. It was charred
down about 1/8 inch.

To use the Ultra Odor Gone, built a plastic tent around the piano so
that all surfaces are exposed and the plastic does not lay on surfaces
that would limit ventilation.  Leave it for about a week with one or
two tubs inside the tent. That may be all it needs.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc

Message: 3