[pianotech] undisciplined kids

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Fri Jan 4 23:19:34 MST 2013

Many years back a customer brought her rather badly behaving six year old to
my shop where we discussed the repairs being made to the action of her
piano. He son immediately started terrorizing everything he could reach. No
matter how I may feel internally, externally I'm usually fairly
mild-mannered about these things-at least I used to be-but in this case I
did ask her several times to please keep her child from damaging pianos
owned by others. It did little good; she seemed oblivious to the destructive
antics of her child. Until..

I was standing with my back to the workbench holding the action from her
piano and had just given her some quotes about how much various repairs
would cost when her child gave a few of the keys a good, solid whack with
both hands and about a half-dozen hammers along with their attached-but now
broken-hammershanks came sailing over my head. Into the sudden silence as
they landed and bounced along the floor I added, ".and repairing the broken
hammershanks will add about $10 each."

The corrective actions were swift and firm and the little brat was a model
of good behavior throughout the rest of the visit.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

del at fandrichpiano.com  <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> - ddfandrich at gmail.com