[pianotech] Reducing tuning time (was Re: frustrated)

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Jan 11 16:41:09 MST 2013

Duaine.

We've told you over and over that you can't do a pitch raise in one pass and expect it to stay. You will get much better results, and probably in a shorter period of time, if you do a fast pitch raise and then a fine tuning.

For the pitch raise, measure how flat A4 is and then offset your ETD 25% higher than it is flat. (If it's 40 cents flat offset the ETD 10 cents sharp). Start with the last note in the bass and tune down to A1. Then start at the first note of the treble and go up to C8. You can use your rubber mutes for this the way you describe it.

Don't try to get each string dead on,  don't go for dead on unisons, and don't try to set each pin.  The name of the game is increasing tension on the whole piano. The first couple of times it might take about half an hour, but after a little experience you should be able to do this in about 15 minutes

Once you've got the piano up to pitch do a regular tuning. If you want to start at A1, that's fine. Personally I like to tune a piano the same way I just described doing a pitch raise.

Wim

Sent from my iPhone