[pianotech] tuning without stripping

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 22:31:03 MST 2013

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM, John Formsma <formsma at gmail.com> wrote:

> Me too...mostly. Strip muting is always faster for me. I do occasionally
> like to tune with two mutes. But the piano has to already be very close in
> tune for that to work well.
>
> That's right.  And most people's pianos are not, because they let them go
> too long.  I'd say a good 2/3 to 3/4 of the pianos I tune, maybe more, need
> a pitch raise first, even if it's just 5 or 10 cents.  But many of them are
> more like 15 to 30 cents flat.   And a good percentage of them need the
> lost motion taken out first.

        Those two things of course use up almost the whole 2 hours allotted
for the appointment, which is why there's almost never occasion to do any
fine-regulating, touchweight modification, or voicing.  All these
high-level piano servicing classes offered at the conventions are great if
you're working mostly for concert-level artists or even university piano
professors, but "in the trenches" of real-world tuning for Mr. or Ms.
average piano owner in the suburbs, there's almost never an opportunity to
use that level of knowledge.  Or the owners just don't have the funds or
see the need for it at their beginner or amateur level of playing.   (, all
of which doesn't have anything to do with strip mutes, of course;  just
doing some minor venting here....)
     --David Nereson, RPT