[pianotech] tuning without stripping

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Mon Jan 14 02:32:28 MST 2013

On 01/13/2013 11:31 PM, David Nereson wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM, John Formsma <formsma at gmail.com <mailto:formsma at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Me too...mostly. Strip muting is always faster for me. I do occasionally like to tune with two mutes. But the
>     piano has to already be very close in tune for that to work well.
>
>     That's right.  And most people's pianos are not, because they let them go too long.  I'd say a good 2/3 to 3/4 of
>     the pianos I tune, maybe more, need a pitch raise first, even if it's just 5 or 10 cents.  But many of them are
>     more like 15 to 30 cents flat.   And a good percentage of them need the lost motion taken out first.
>
>         Those two things of course use up almost the whole 2 hours allotted for the appointment, which is why there's
> almost never occasion to do any fine-regulating, touchweight modification, or voicing.  All these high-level piano
> servicing classes offered at the conventions are great if you're working mostly for concert-level artists or even
> university piano professors, but "in the trenches" of real-world tuning for Mr. or Ms. average piano owner in the
> suburbs, there's almost never an opportunity to use that level of knowledge.  Or the owners just don't have the funds
> or see the need for it at their beginner or amateur level of playing.   (, all of which doesn't have anything to do
> with strip mutes, of course;  just doing some minor venting here....)
>      --David Nereson, RPT

Now, I don't want to start another "do or don't" war.....however, since 99% of my customers are like the ones David is
talking about - I don't see the - need - to become an RPT.

Just stating - and - no further commentary is wanted.

Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ - Tuning, Servicing & Rebuilding