[pianotech] strip muting

John Ashcraft jaashcraft at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:18:24 MST 2013

Marshall,
I use a strip of thin butt felt (around 3/8" high) to do that difficult
section in the treble where the regular muting strip will not fit. I put
the thin felt down right above the dampers. On a very few pianos, I need to
press the sustain pedal and let the felt go under the dampers a bit. I also
use 1/4" rubber mutes to do unisons in that section.

When you use a temperament strip for a decade or so, it gets thin enough to
work when the bass strings are close together. My old strips don't
die--they just get demoted to bass duty.
--John Ashcraft