[pianotech] Veneer (Divot) Repair Question

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jan 16 07:51:02 MST 2013

Hello most esteemed fairway divot repair professionals:

I know you're not going to believe this, but out on the main fairway recently, I used a #2 iron (cast) to advance my objective and I accidentally took a pretty fair divot out of the fairway. This is a rosewood veneered fairway on an 1860s Steinway (fairly thick veneers). I think one can pretty clearly see the damage from the two photos below. The main divot is 6 mm by 8 mm and is 0.8 mm deep. The case has been refinished maybe 30-some years ago - the original lacquer finish was stripped off and a non-grain-filled very simple finish was applied. I have no idea what the new finish may be - perhaps some type of oil finish?

I really have not done much veneer repair. I have heard of wetting (water) a size-appropriate cotton ball or some like object and taping it so the dent - the thinking being that the damaged wood underneath will swell and hopefully bring the divot out to its original flat nature. Or perhaps there is a better way. Any suggestions?

Thanks big time.

Terry Farrell

FWIW: I know it will be asked, so here it is: Divot is from corner of plate getting wheeled around shop on piano tilter. Where on earth is that Omega 13 Device when you need it?! Oh, that's right, it's not ON earth!!!