[pianotech] Veneer (Divot) Repair Question

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 08:14:39 MST 2013

The way I've always taken these out is with a folded piece of paper towel dunked in water, squeezed out a bit, and then pressed against the dent with the tip of a hot iron. Works great on mahogany with the finish stripped off, but there's always the chance of loosening the veneer if done too much. (Maybe the taped-cold-wet-wad method would be wiser?) I've never tried it on rosewood with a finish. Might that finish just be one thin coat of lacquer??? If you can determine that it is, and then scrape it off that area with a razor blade and/or scrub with a bit of thinner, you ought to be able to get the wood to take up the water and then later spray a little Deft of the appropriate gloss to cover the repair. (An oil-finish might be a bit harder. I don't know how to get it out of the wood to make the water soak in.)

Thumpe