[pianotech] Bass string maker problem

Patrick Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 16 13:22:39 MST 2013

I am having a continual problem with getting bass strings duplicated accurately. In two instances the string duplication was good for the first half and then the windings got longer and longer until they rode up over the capo bar, in the first instance, and over the bridge in the second instance. These were both upright pianos, and I did try switching the order of the strings which only made things worse. In two other pianos, both grands, the windings in the bichords were not as closer as the original ones. This problem showed up in sets from both Mapes and Schaff. Up until this happened I never had such a problem. I am about to give up and try different makers. Has anyone else been having a similar problem, and did you wind up switching.
Thanks,
Patrick Poulson,RPT