[pianotech] Bass string maker problem

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 17 17:45:51 MST 2013

On 1/17/2013 6:20 PM, Encore Pianos wrote:
> I haven't charted the speaking lengths (or other lengths) required, but that
> seems like a good idea - I know my brain can go on auto pilot even as I am
> checking - I need something to check the checker.  I drop everything into an
> Excel spreadsheet, so that should be easy enough to do.  Thanks.

Sure. Sometimes it saves me.

> I didn't know the differences  between makers, they have never told me, I
> just have always assumed the back of the hitch pin.  I already provide the
> hitch pin size to the maker.

Me too, but then one day out of curiosity I decided to validate tooling
and compare the measuring tapes I had from Arledge, Hellerbass, and JD
Grant, found discrepancies, and asked. With 13mm or whatever bare ends,
it's not something that gets in the way if I'd never noticed.
Ron N