[pianotech] Please check out the "Bow Clamp" video, and comment on its uses for us.

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Jan 18 08:08:17 MST 2013

Ron wrote:

<For us, clamps aligning soundboard panels for assembly, and clamps for
holding key sets are crowned to maintain pressure in the middle.

I've never had a curved clamping caul perform very well, and basically
gave up on them.  They apply pressure in the middle at some point, but
pressure is uneven, unto zero along other intermediate points along the
clamp. The deflection under pressure never turns out to be a fair curve,
but one that dips and dives. Maybe within a 2ft length, but not @ 4ft
which is what I usually need them for.

On my soundboard panel clamps, I have a set of 1 or 2 degree wedges I
use to align along the length of the clamp, if I see that I need them.

I also now use spring loaded go-bars if I need intermediate convincing
in other wide glue-ups...but dont find I need them too often.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com