[pianotech] Bass string maker problem

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Thu Jan 17 19:27:04 MST 2013

Ron wrote:

<Me too, but then one day out of curiosity I decided to validate tooling
and compare the measuring tapes I had from Arledge, Hellerbass, and JD
Grant, found discrepancies.

As a matter of course, I check calibration on any and all measuring
devices. A couple of years ago, I had 2 tapes from I believe it was
Grandt, and they disagreed with each other. I called him up. He
apologized and thanked me avoiding a screw up. He then told me what #
they were trying to hit with the loop. I messed with it until it hit the
intended target.

I've found, since way back, it pays to call a subcontractor up, question
his tooling and setup needs. This way one can be sure to provide the
info that will make his job go smoothly, according to the way he likes
to proceed, and according to the way his machinery is set up to do
things. It cuts way down on booboos, and misunderstandings.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com