[pianotech] Please check out the "Bow Clamp" video, and comment on its uses for us.

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Fri Jan 18 13:26:39 MST 2013

<Have you seen these? http://www.frontlineengineering.com.au/

Interesting... wonder how much moola$

The key though to getting a panel to behave during glue up is to make
sure the joints are dead nuts 90 deg and consistent. This is easier said
than done.

My own procedure is to get one edge reasonably straight, and reasonably
square on the jointer. Then take each piece over the power fed shaper.
The combo of the power feed, and 1-1/4 arbor/heavy cast iron machine,
gets the consistency. To get the dead nuts 90 deg, though the arbor has
been carefully calibrated and tested, I flip each side of the joint so I
end up with a complimentary angle at the joint. THis way even if very
slightly out of square, the complimentary angle gets the faces dead on
180 deg.

Still there is slight alignment fussing during glue-up. However, I can
still run individual individual pieces through the planer, prior to
glue-up, only 1mm strong of my final thickness.  THis lets me finish up
the final planing by hand, in reasonably short order...and have fun
doing it.   ...don't know why hand planing is so enjoyable, but there
you have it...

...but those clamps look sweet...maybe in my next lifetime

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com