[pianotech] S&S B desk glide parts

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:00:40 MST 2013

Andrew,
If you have a good table saw, you are half way there. I like to use
ipe wood for small parts under severe stress. I got some ipe wood
scraps some time ago from a flooring job. That wood is so dense that
it won't even float in water. What is nice about making parts from it
is that is nearly as strong as metal and machines as well. You can
machine, drill. and plane it. and it is very stable and very strong.
One caution is to wear a dust mask when sanding and sawing ipe The
dust is quite hazardous for the lungs. I also made a piano dolly with
it. It is indestructible.
Ipe is an oily wood like teak, so paint it with an oil base paint or
lacquer. In the natural state it is a little darker than teak.

Most lumber yards carry ipe for decks now. It is a tropical wood and
probably endangered. I don't like to see it used in large areas but I
have just salvaged scraps from the dumpster. I can justify getting it
that way and putting it to good use.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc