[pianotech] How to remove scratches

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 09:36:20 MST 2013

Michael,
I repair such scratches all the time with French polishing. I gave a
seminar on it in Seattle. It is quite easy to do. It works so well for
this kind of thing because it only adds a thin layer of shellac and
there is no risk as there is with sanding and polishing. The beauty of
French polishing is it fills the scratches selectively without
building up finish on the non-scratched area. That is, it fills the
valleys up to the top of the hills leaving a glass-smooth surface. It
is also very safe and I often do it in the clients music room over an
Oriental carpet with no concern of odor or spills or overspray. I use
Konig Special French polish from www.konignorthamerica.com. Or google
Konig french polish. They also have videos.

The alternate quick and dirty solution is to spray the fall board with
several coats of clear lacquer. Then fine sand and polish the new
lacquer without the danger of damaging the black underneath. I find
that polishing lacquer to a high polish is not that easy. I would sand
it with 400 and then 600 paper with water, dry, and then give a final
coat of spray that lays down flat. Do that outside if possible. The
fumes are strong.  French polish still comes out better and is three
times as fast. There is no waiting for lacquer to dry and no sanding.

See my web site to see French polishing before, during, and after.
 www.classicpianodoc.com

Doug Gregg
Classic piano Doc
Southold, NY