[pianotech] Size of Pinblock Drill bit?

Noah Frere noahfrere at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 12:57:23 MST 2013

I searched my not inconsiderable archives for an answer, but have come up
empty-handed. I am using 1/0 Denro blued tuning pins in a new multi-lam
Maple pinblock, and need to order the drill bit. I'd like to double-drill -
makes sense. The Pianotek catalog recommends, in effect, a drill bit .016"
to .021" under the diameter of a 2/0 pin in a multi-lam pinblock. Following
that logic, I could use the .250" on the first pass, and the .261" (.015"
under) or .257" (.019" under) drill bit on the second pass. Also, I like
the idea of the brad-points, but also like the idea of the other ones,
which are "slow spiral."  Any recommendations?