[pianotech] Size of Pinblock Drill bit?

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Wed Mar 6 14:13:27 MST 2013

I've done a couple of hundred? Pinblocks over many years.  Naturally, I have
formed some ideas as to what works best.  I am not a fan of brad points,
they don't seem to stay sharp as long and don't clear chips well.  For very
many years, I have used good quality fast spiral drill bits because they
clear chips the best.  About 1100 RPM, feet at a steady rate, but do not
hog.  Feed rate is a developed feel, like porridge.  Not too fast, not too
slow - just right.  Compressor hose clears chips and keeps the bit cooler.
Use the shortest bit that will be long enough to drill the block, less
likely to bend as it seeks the index mark.

As for the proper size, buy all 3.  The missing link here is the how much or
how little run out you have on your drill press - that will have an effect
on the diameter of the finished hole and will determine what size will work
best for you.   The length of tuning pin and how much of the thread is in
the block itself will also determine how much purchase the pin has on the
block.

Also, the recommended sizes as shown in the Pianotek catalog are for 2/0
pins, which are .282 (sort of), while 1/0 pins are .276 (sort of).  You may
find that if you drill for 2/0 pins and use a 1/0 pin, your block may well
be too loose.  Use 2/0 pins unless there is some compelling reason to use
the smaller pin.

You will have left over stock after you make the block.  I keep mine and do
several test drillings.  I drive in tuning pins to the same depth and decide
which I like the best, which you can do by feel.

Will Truitt