[pianotech] Size of Pinblock Drill bit?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 7 03:46:31 MST 2013

Ummmmm, probably about 13 or 14 years ago. Looks like their lowest-end drill press runs about $95 now. I did get mine on sale - so it doesn't look like they've gone up in price all that much.

http://www.sears.com/tools-bench-stationary-power-tools-drill-presses/s-1021248

Now I'm not suggesting that it's not worth it to buy a larger/higher-quality drill press - more stable, more power, deeper throat, etc., etc. I do have a larger one now for the benchtop, but I still do use my little Sears fellow for drilling pinblocks and plates as I have it mounted upside-down on my overhead drill press.

Tilts to any angle, rotates 360 degrees, vertical adjustment about 8 inches, X-direction travel is about 8 feet and Y direction travel is about a foot. A goofy thing that I'd likely not ever build again if I moved to a new shop (would build a floating press, ala Ron N), but as long at it is here, it works very well and I really enjoy it.

Except when I don't have the drill mounted on it and I walk into it - the base is about 5' 8" off the floor, and I'm 6' 0". Ouch!

Terry Farrell