[pianotech] Size of Pinblock Drill bit?

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Thu Mar 7 06:31:25 MST 2013

Mike Spaulding wrote:

<Nubbed? By hand? more detail please!

Ouch!!  I read back over my post and realized I misstated what I meant
to say.

Here it is corrected with a pic of the SLOW SPIRAL, nubbed bit:

1st pass 1/4" fast spiral, or whatever you bit you want to use...not too
picky
2nd pass - SLOW SPIRAL nubbed run through with a hand drill. Sized as
per final target torque and block type, by test.

The nubbed bit simply has the cutting edge  ground off (eyeballed on the
grinder) to about a 90 deg angle at the OD of the bit's leading edge.
See pic.

Just to confirm, I wrote fast spiral nubbed in my original post...I
meant to say that the 2nd pass is SLOW SPIRAL nubbed!!!

I'm actually thinking of having WL Fuller regrind these so that the 1st
1" is a 1/4" non-cutting pilot step drill... but haven't had that done
that yet.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio