[pianotech] non puzzler

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 7 06:19:27 MST 2013

On 3/7/2013 5:29 AM, Overs Pianos wrote:
> Hi Ron,
>
> I see a scaling mess where the speaking lengths of the fourth and fifth
> notes from the left hand strut have the wrong speaking lengths (top
> image). This piano will definitely have a tuning stability problem.
> There's a paddock full of this stuff out there, and I think its worse
> that it was now that manufacturers are mostly using CNC for bridge
> drilling.
>
> The bottom image has so many errors its hard to see where the curve
> might be. What a mess.

Tuning stability is about usual to even a bit better than average since
the low tenor break% is in the 35% range. The scary part of this scale
is the high bass. The highest wrapped bichord is at 74%! I have no idea
what has kept that from breaking. The owner used to live across the
street from me so she suffered me measuring the scale one afternoon
after I'd first tuned it and noticed the scale layout.
Ron N