[pianotech] Size of Pinblock Drill bit?

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Thu Mar 7 18:49:27 MST 2013

Terry wrote:
<I'm curious, why the second pass by hand? Seems to me that a bit in a
stable drill press will always give more consistent results.

I find lining the drill rig in the hovercraft scenario, or moving the
whole piano in your technique, for me, awkward and difficult to get the
work in a position where the bit will enter exactly as it did the first
time without deflecting, or fighting with piano to find the alignment
spot. Takes me a long time and is frustrating.

Obviously you commune differently with your set up, as  Ron does with
his...but as they say...different folks, different strokes.

I find the variability in how we all approach the same tasks amazing.
What works for one, can drive another guy nuts...of course leaving the
first guy scratching his head wondering where the second guy left his
brains.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio