[pianotech] Size of Pinblock Drill bit?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Mar 7 19:13:28 MST 2013

On 3/7/2013 7:49 PM, Jim Ialeggio wrote:
> Terry wrote:
> <I'm curious, why the second pass by hand? Seems to me that a bit in a
> stable drill press will always give more consistent results.
>
> I find lining the drill rig in the hovercraft scenario, or moving the
> whole piano in your technique, for me, awkward and difficult to get the
> work in a position where the bit will enter exactly as it did the first
> time without deflecting, or fighting with piano to find the alignment
> spot. Takes me a long time and is frustrating.

Assumption is a wonderful and crippling thing. In the case of my method,
it's a hovercraft. That's frictionless and virtually effortless
positioning. Very quick, very natural, easy and accurate. That's the
whole point of the damned thing. With Terry's rig, it's on tracks. He's
not moving the entire piano between holes. His rig is as easy,
effortless, etc as mine.

> Obviously you commune differently with your set up, as  Ron does with
> his...but as they say...different folks, different strokes.
>
> I find the variability in how we all approach the same tasks amazing.
> What works for one, can drive another guy nuts...of course leaving the
> first guy scratching his head wondering where the second guy left his
> brains.

Yea.
Ron N