[pianotech] Key Leveling Time

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Sat Mar 9 07:32:34 MST 2013

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Ialeggio <jim at grandpianosolutions.com>
To: pianotech <pia
>>On a 1 day on whilrwind (ha) on-site regulation, depending on the skill
level of the pianist, I minimize the pickyness of keylevel. This allows
me to spend more time in other places where the regulation will get more
bang for the buck...1 day for a full defferred maintenance action is
really pushing it hard...gotta prioritize.<<

I run into this with institutional pianos, where they will budget for one day's time, and I am expected to leave them with a vastly improved instrument.  Two passes is all the key leveling that I will usually do, the first pas is before I have done anything but eliminate lost motion.  and I combine them with other things, like polishing capstans and keyframe felt as well as making sure that the keyframe is mated to the bed.   The second pass is when the key frame is solid, everything is clean, and I only lack hammer line, dip,drop, and back checks to adjust.
I usually don't get into the white balance rail punchings on something like this,as they make less difference than the packing down of the new punchings I use to level it.  Gotta draw the line somewhere.
Regards,